Monday, November 8, 2010

Reflections on prayer painting

I enjoyed the evening of painting prayers and reflections... As usually, when I start painting, images keep coming and it is nearly impossible to stop. There is so much inspiration! Yesterday W4T session, morning service in our church, evenings spent searching internet for information about use of creativity in worship, reading, praying.... and writing the prayer journal. So often words can't express what I feel, paintings can and I am not really able to explain, describe the process - how it happens that I paint prayers. For me painting prayers is a special God's gift, undeserved, given with such a great generosity... God's creativity is the most amazing inspiration for me. 

And I started to read again Henri Nouwen's The Inner Voice of Love, book I used to read and reflect on and draw prayers inspired by reading, for many years.... Reading about the ways other people express their faith is very inspiring, I read few websites and blogs about gifts of prophetic painting. I am not sure whether I would call my paintings prophetic, I think, being me, I would like to do more reading, more researching and more praying.... Paintings are prayers and it is up to God to speak through my paintings to others.... I am not good in finding scientific definitions... Although I still argue with view of someone I spoke to few months ago who was strongly arguing that scientist and artist cannot be one person... at that time I felt too intimidated to express myself... but very soon I was able to think clearly again and remember so many artists - scientist... my biggest inspiration is Leonardo da Vinci - in ways he connected, explored art and science... 

Another inspiration came from reading Freeman's book Gifted Lives, its both inspiring and challenging... but that is another long story and I haven't done much prayer paintings about that :)

I will add paintings here tomorrow, its too late to start process of scanning and organizing images and I would like to keep this gift of being still before God, being amazed by His love and his creativity...


 

Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment